By default, the theme doesn't add on H1 tags to the homepage as it isn't a content page. To add these manually, follow the steps below:
- Within your Shopify admin, go to Online store.
- Go to Preferences.
- Go to Title and meta description, and then navigate to the Homepage title entry field.
As a result, your site title will become your H1. While it is possible to alter this, we don't recommend it; this is because it's a great opportunity to add a 'Custom HTML' section to the homepage and include your own H1 tag that targets the keywords you wish to focus on.
In addition, this allows you to add a brief explanation of what you store does on the homepage (meaning that people who land on it know exactly where they are).
Adding an H1 tag
The best way to directly add an H1 tag to the homepage template is to use the Custom HTML section.
- Within your Shopify admin section, go to Online store.
- Under Themes, go to your theme and select Customize.
- On the left-hand section menu, scroll down to Add section.
- Select Custom HTML.
- Add in the following code and alter the text between the two tags, to suit:
<h1>Your own custom h1, including any important keywords</h1>